Tuesday, August 17, 2010
ACHTUNG, scuzz-fiends! Puffy Areolas played/slayed a live performance at KDVS in Studio A last Thurssday with the honorable Fenris Wulf presiding over the controls and Sacto sax assassins and Repressive Proteins members Davy Bui (of Antennas Erupt) and Chad Stockdale (of Klondike & York and D.M.P.H.) guesting with the band. To hear the entire hour-long performance, right-click and save the link below this playlist. I just drove 2200 miles following G. Green and Mayyors around the Pacific Northwest, and I barely made it back from Portland in time for this week's program, so therefore, this week in AFS...
* A gang of new HoZac, Sacred Bones, and Siltbreeze titles
* A very special Puffy Areolas block including and excerpt of their live-@-KDVS performance
* San Francisco Water Cooler on a properly functioning turntable
* Warm Climate unleash another stunner!
* Taste-testing the upcoming week in Sacto shows
* Vacation highlights
Download this program within two months at this link...
CLICK HERE for 192kbps rate.
CLICK HERE for 320kbps rate.
or, if you have a slower/20th century connection
STREAM IT HERE by next Monday night!
(Email me with any downloading problem questions...)
SONSKULL | Control Control | Birth Scene/Rewind EP 12" | Perennial *new
SONSKULL | Cement Mixer
WHITE BOSS | Meld | self-titled | Perennial *new
WHITE BOSS | Darkness/Lightness
PUFFY AREOLAS | title unknown/1981/Deathcraze | Live in Studio A @ KDVS, 8/12/10
PUFFY AREOLAS | title unknown | 2010 Tour Tape | no label *new
PUFFY AREOLAS | Rock n Roll Express | Rock n Roll Express 7" | Die Stasi *new
MEERCAZ | Lovesick | self-titled | Tic Tac Totally 2010
PROCEDURE CLUB | Nautical Song | Doomed Forever | Slumberland *new
PROCEDURE CLUB | Rather
SUPER WILD HORSES | Mess Around | Fifteen | HoZac/Aarght! *new
SUPER WILD HORSES | World's Gone Bad | Enigma (You Say Go) 7" | HoZac *new
GRASS WIDOW | 11 of Diamonds | Past Time | Kill Rock Stars *new
THE BITTERS | Master of Sleep | Have a Nap Hotel EP 12" | Sacred Bones *new
FABULOUS DIAMONDS | 3 Minutes 40 Seconds | Fabulous Diamonds II | Siltbreeze *new
THIS HEART ELECTRIC | Nowhere to Run... | Polar 7" | Die Stasi *new
MAC BLACKOUT | Sometimes | Don't Let Your Love Die 7" | Sacred Bones *new
ELECTRIC BUNNIES | Pretty Joanna | Pretty Joanna 7" | Sacred Bones *new
SEX CHURCH | Paralyze | 209 7" | HoZac *new
SAN FRANCISCO WATER COOLER | Your Life is a River | II | Sun Sneeze *new
SAN FRANCISCO WATER COOLER | August Receipt
WARM CLIMATE | Voice Over Headlights | Camouflage on the River Wretched CS | Stunned *new
WARM CLIMATE | Two Stones
ALASTAIR GALBRAITH | Bridge of Burning Bubblegum | Mass | Siltbreeze *new
ALASTAIR GALBRAITH | Tin Town
AMEN DUNES | Murder Dull Mind | Murder Dull Mind EP 12" | Sacred Bones *new
G. GREEN | The Garden | I Will Not Withdraw This Statement 7" | Malt Duck *new
WHITE FANG | Eat My Shred | Whatever | Marriage 2009
HOT FACE | The Patch | 5-song demo CDR | no label *new
ESPECIALLY LIKELY SLOTH | Hammer Smashed Face [Cannibal Corpse] | v/a: Roots II (The Return) | Root of All Evil 1998
RATTLE DICK | some songs | demo CS | no label *new
J GUY LAUGHLIN | untitled | Solo Percussion vol. I CS | Wagon *new
Download the Puffy Areolas live at KDVS within two months at this link...
CLICK HERE for 192kbps rate.
CLICK HERE for 320kbps rate.
* Twin Falls, Idaho! When I first learned that G. Green had scheduled a show at a place called the Meth House in Twin Falls--with a band called Meth House Party Band, no less!--I was very concerned that they'd made a huge mistake, and that the show would be either totally deserted except for some methy wastoids, or the show'd be packed with sXe Christian jocks and/or juggalos (well, I guess all the juggalos woulda been predisposed at the Gathering to fling feces at Tila Tequila (endless kudos 'n faygo's to ya, boys!)), and I was extra-concerned that if they stayed the night there, they'd never stand a chance of making it to their Seattle show the following night. But, to my surprise and relief, Twin Falls turned out to be tremendously fun. I've sampled some scenes like Lakeport, Yuba City, Redding, Anderson, Klamath Falls, Medford, etc., and although there's always potential for the fun-starved to freak out when they finally get the chance to enjoy good music in their town, it usually turns out to be depressing or scary. Twin Falls was a complete 180° turn from what I expected: the Meth House was actually pretty nice and not methy, the fans were friendly, super-appreciative, and open-minded, and even the local bands were really good, especially that Meth House Party Band. With a name like that, I thought they'd be some sorta one-off/ad-hoc band that would do some Misfits covers and jam some other things out. But no...they had some damn catchy songs in the fast melodic garage-punk vein, sometimes verging on Queer Pills-era Samoans. The only thing I expected to happen that did indeed happen was that the crowd was very moshy. They moshed to the slowest and most romantic of G. Green songs. The boys even ripped their shirts off. G. Green got 'em pumped! If your band is ever traveling between the Salt Lake Valley or Missoula and either of the Pacific Northwest metropolises, you can do a lot worse than Twin Falls, but for the sake of having fun and making new friends, you might not do better than Meth House for your entire tour. I wholeheartedly recommend the Meth House and the Meth House Party Band. Also...see Shoshone Falls when you're there. It's worth it even when the falls are at half-flow.
* Best bites....Can a $17.48 burger combo be worth it? Even without a soft drink? Only if that burger is the bison, bacon, and cheeseburger at Boise Fry Company, and only if those fries are the Fry Co's "bourgeois fries" fresh from a bath in duck fat and dunked in such incredible condiments as blueberry ketchup and curried fry sauce. Best meal of the trip for sure! I found my new best chicken fried steak (fried lightly in flour and seasoning) at a top-drawer old-fashioned diner called The Griddle in Winnemucca, Nevada. Also, the honey, walnut, coriander, and cardamom milkshake at Pereira Crepes in the magnetic late-night foodcart mecca at SE Hawthorne @ 12th Ave in Portland impressed once again. I'd been dreaming about it since last year, and it didn't disappoint.
* Mayyors ruled on both nights. G. Green ruled especially hard in Twin Falls, but also at the Portland house show. Wounded Lion and The Lamps ruled as usual. Last ever Meth Teeth show was a heart-string tugger. Geeking out with Canadian friends is always a treat. Our hosts were great each night...thanks to all of you. Also, on Saturday at the Mayyors/G. Green/Big Black Cloud house show in Portland, I experienced two surprise bands I'd never heard before, and they were both fantastic....the Velvetsy Psychic Feline and the now-wavey Hot Face, a new band featuring Daniel, formerly of Sucks and The Freebasers before he left Sacramento for Portland. Hot Face have the twin cyclonic guitar scribble/scrabble and the speeding-away-from-police-despite-a-blown-out-tire rhtyhmic lurch of AIDS Wolf. You could say they're biters, but you'd hafta be impressed by how strident they were. Dan-Dan has become a beastly basher, and this lady vokillist is a riot. The demo shows promise, but I'd love to have them come get recorded here with Fenris so he could bring out more low-end punishment. Videos exist of their first show on a weird river beach...
...but I'd say their 2nd show ever was even more a winner! This third vid involves the same lady and maybe some of the same co-conspirators and ably traipses through other contemporary genre ghettoes with a literal puke-fest in-between. I'd say Hot Face knows how to party.
Posted by DJ Rick at 3:03 AM